The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express offers more bonuses and rewards than you can count. It is, simply put, one of the very best cards out there for frequent travelers.
Who’s it for?
If you spend a lot of time in hotels, in airplanes, in taxi cabs and in restaurants, this is the card for you. If you’re just looking to establish your credit by using your card to cover a few utility bills, then there’s not much point in applying for a Starwood Preferred Guest credit card. But if you spend a lot of time out and about, traveling for work or just because you love to travel, it’s hard to find a better card than Starwood Preferred Guest. This is thanks to a long list of travel related bonuses on which users can cash in.
What are the Bonuses?
Note that this list is incomplete. The card offers various limited-time bonuses, meaning that by the time you read this, you might be able to sign up for rewards not listed below.
- 25,000 bonus Starpoints after spending $5,000 in your first three months
- 10,000 additional Starpoints if you spend another $3,000 in the first six months on top of the initial $5,000
- 1 Starpoint per dollar spent
- 2 Starpoints per dollar spent at participating SPG Marriott Rewards locations
- No foreign transaction fees
- Free Wifi at any Boingo hotspot (more than 1 million locations worldwide)
- Starpoints can be redeemed for free flights from over 150 participating SPG airlines, and free stays at more than 1,300 hotels and resorts around the world
What are the Rates and Fees?
- APR: 15.99% to 19.99% variable
- Late payment fee: Up to $38
- Annual fee: None for first year, then $95 for each year following
The Starwood Preferred Guest credit card is a powerful little card to have in your pocket if you love to travel. But… it’s not of much use for homebodies. On the other hand, the Starpoints system will put you up in hotels and on airplanes without costing you a dollar, so it could conceivably earn you a free vacation even if you only travel a few times a year. Most card holders who do not travel very often will stick to a card with a cash back rewards system, but if you spend a lot of time on the road, Starwood Preferred Guest is one of the best cards out there.